California Fresno Mission May 2013 to November 2014

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Semana 4 en Kerman


On April 8, 2014, Hermana VanWie shared this letter:
Querida Familia  y amigos -

This weekend was a great weekend!  We had 4 investigators come to General Conference and two of them watched it in a member's home!  (A conference that the church holds twice a year where our prophet, apostles and other church leaders give guidance on how we can live our lives more like the Savior) R, M, and a part member family (a father and son) came. M came twice and the second day she came she took notes the entire time because she loved what she had heard the day before so much! R also came and then stayed for an hour afterwards talking with a member about some doubts that he has. It was wonderful! I know that these investigators now have a better understanding of what the Church is all about and why having a living prophet is so important. How grateful I am that they came!

We had a great lesson with S this week as well. She was able to get a blessing from the elders and then we were able to teach her with a member there. It was great to allow her and the member to talk and form a friendship. They were able to talk about things like children and mothering in ways that we do not know how. This is why we work with members and why members are so important! We are excited to teach her again this week. 

We are still working with the members on getting them more involved in the missionary effort. We have been doing some member visits and we are teaching a Spanish class for English speakers as well.  At the first class we only had two people there, the next we had five. This week we should have a lot more. I have been so impressed with how fast they have learned and the desire that they have to communicate and help in the work. I know this class will really increase their confidence in speaking another language and they are already more excited to come out and work with us. We are thrilled!

Yesterday we had the opportunity to learn to make tortillas--homemade flour tortillas! We got to spend time with a wonderful member named Sister M and she taught us the art of making delicious flour tortillas.

I also went on an exchange with Sister P this week. On this exchange with her she asked me a question that I have been studying and I love! Her question was this, "If you were to address Jesus Christ personally, what phrase would you use?" I love this question. It really made me think about what my relationship is with Jesus Christ. I came up with two phrases I would use from the scriptures.
1. 1 Nephi 20:10 "My Refiner" / "My Savior"
"For behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction." This also goes along with Malachi 3:3. "And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord and offering of righteousness."
2. 2 Nephi 33:6 "My Jesus"
"I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell."
I know that Jesus Christ is MY Savior. He loves us and wants us to be happy. He truly is watching over us as a refiner and is only letting us be in the "heat" (trials) long enough so that we can become more like Him and our Heavenly Father.

I know that our Savior is always willing and wanting to help us. We just need to turn to Him.
I am grateful for the opportunity I have to serve in the work of the Lord. I know that it is the work of Salvation. I know that our Heavenly Father lives and that our Savior lives! Thank you for all the love and support you give the missionaries. Los quiero mucho!

Con amor,

Hermana VanWie






 

No comments:

Post a Comment