California Fresno Mission May 2013 to November 2014

Sunday, August 4, 2013

4th week in Ceres

Querida Familia--
           This week has been a little bit crazy but I love it!  I was on two exchanges this week! I was on an exchange with Sister Salt from Tuesday afternoon until Wednesday afternoon. She has only a few months left on her mission. She is serving in an English area and so I had the opportunity to teach in English. Some thing I learned from her on our exchange was that being on a mission is about training. When we enter the MTC we are being trained to go out into the mission field. Once we get into the mission field we are taught all the things we need to know about the area and all the things we need to know to be a successful missionary. Then we have the opportunity to teach the things we have learned to a new missionary when we are trainers. Then at the end of the mission we are in the process of being trained again. I realized that this time, we are being trained by the Lord through the Spirit. This training is training for the rest of our lives. The Lord is helping us prepare for the rest of our lives by teaching us to trust in Him and helping us to come to know Him.
The next day, Wednesday, I went on another exchange. Hermana PO and I were together for about an hour and then we had an exchange with Sister M. She is amazing! She is almost done with her time so I am so glad I was able to go on an exchange with her. We did get lost a few times, but we found ways to laugh about it and find people to teach in the process. We found 3 new investigators--C, H, and J (Mother, daughter, and grand-daughter). Heidi seems really interested. We are going to stop by later this week. We also ran into some former investigators as we were looking for some other investigators. C and M are the couple we ran into. They are wonderful! We were originally searching for C parents. But, we taught C and M about the Plan of Salvation and part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We also sang a song at the beginning! It was wonderful to be using songs in our lessons again! It always invites the Spirit! The strength of the Spirit in that lesson was unbelievable!
The next day we went down to Fresno to get Hna PO. A less active member of our branch drove us down which was amazing! And we got to know her too! She then invited me and Hna Parra-Ortega to breakfast the next day. We went and had a short spiritual lesson and sang a song. Her heart was touched and so were her children's. Yesterday, their entire family (her husband too) came to church. It was the first time in a long time that they had been there. 
When Hermana Parra-Ortega and I were back together almost all of our lesson plans fell through but since we had a member with us, we decided to help this member have a missionary experience. So, we knocked on doors. The first door we knocked on we met C. We left a blessing on her home and she began to cry. Although she was at first skeptical, she then allowed us to teach her more. We have an appointment with her again today. She has such a sweet spirit and can recognize the Spirit. She is another new investigator.
On Sunday we also had a special fireside for new converts and investigators. It was called "Why I Believe." The Missionaries sang Called to Serve and The Sisters of Zion with the new words. 
One scripture that I have studied this week is Doctrine and Covenants 6:22-23. http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/6?lang=eng   It testifies of the power of the Spirit! The greatest witness that we can have is a manifestation of the Spirit. How grateful I am for the Spirit. I know that if we have a question we can receive a clear answer from the Spirit  if we ask with a sincere heart with pure intent. I know that this work is the work of God! I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is an eternal principle. I know that families are forever! I love this work!  I love you all so much!
Love,   Hermana VanWie

 Here is a picture Anne sent of her companion. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment